🠈 Park City, Utah 🠊
Park City is a mountain community in Summit County just 32 miles East of Salt Lake City.
The area was originally named Parley's Park City after Parley Pratt, an LDS Patriarch who explored the area when Mormons settle the area. Mr. Pratt was killed in 1857 by the estranged husband of his twelfth wive and the area was deeded to LDS leaders Samuel Snyder, Heber C. Kimball and Jedediah Grant who sought to develop the high mountain pastures as a pleasant getaway from sweltering Salt Lake.
The character of the area changed dramatically with the discovery of silver and gold in the area. The gold rush brought in miners of mixed faiths (Mormons use the term "gentile" for people who are not in their their Church).
Mines tend go through boom and bust cycles. The Great Depression was a long bust cycle which devalued the real estate. The population of Park City had declined to just 1,193 in 1970.
In 1963 Park City Mines created a ski area called "Treasure Mountain." Along with a gondola, J lift and chair lifts, the resort included a ride through Spiro Tunnel on a mine car followed by a lift through a mine elevator.
"Treasure Mountain" changed its name to Park City Ski Area in 1966. Park West opened in 1968 and Deer Valley opened in 1981.
Revenues from winter sports quickly surpassed those of the mining industry and Park City quickly established the reputation as a destination resort.
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next